35 years, over 10 million sales: five generations of the Polo worldwide
- Series 1 Polo launched in N and L specifications
- 40bhp, 895cc engine
- Length 3,505mm; width 1,562mm; height 1,334mm; wheelbase 2,337mm.
- Larger engine; 1.1-litre 50bhp introduced to the range.
- 500,000th Polo produced
- Facelifted Series 1 Polo appears with plastic bumpers, larger grille and revised dashboard
- 1272cc 60bhp Polo GT launched.
- Series 2 Polo launched
- 1043cc 40bhp, 1093 50bhp and same capacity Formel E engines designed to run on four rather than two-star petrol
- Length 3,655mm (+650mm); width 1,580mm (+18mm); height 1,355mm (+21mm); wheelbase 2,335mm (-2mm)
- Two bodystyles: ‘squareback’ hatchback and notchback saloon (‘Classic’).
- Polo Coupé introduced with 1093cc 50bhp engine.
- 1,000,000th Polo produced.
- 2,000,000th Polo produced.
- Series 2 comprehensive facelift
- Length 3,765mm (+110mm); width 1,570mm (-10mm); height 1,350mm (-5mm); wheelbase 2,335 mm (+0mm)
- Polo becomes first small car to be fitted with catalyst as standard to meet emissions legislation.
- 3,000,000th Polo produced
- Supercharged Polo G40 with 1.3-litre 113bhp engine launched.
- Series 3 Polo launched with petrol engines including include 1.0-litre 45bhp, 1.3-litre 55bhp and 1.6-litre 75bhp
- First time for: diesel engine, five-door bodystyle, automatic transmission and a standard driver’s airbag on all but the entry-level L model
- 4,000,000th Polo produced
- Length 3,715mm (-50mm); width 1,655mm (+85mm); height 1,420mm (+70mm); wheelbase 2,400mm (+65mm).
- Polo Saloon launched, replacing Series 2 Polo Classic
- Special edition Polo Harlequin introduced with 1.4-litre 60bhp engine
- 1.9-litre 64bhp diesel engine makes its debut.
- Polo Estate launched
- 5,000,000th Polo produced.
- 6,000,000th Polo produced.
- UK launch of facelifted Series 3 model
- Engine highlights include 1.4-litre TDI PD diesel and, for the first time, a GTI with 1.6-litre 124bhp engine and modifications in appearance
- At 25th anniversary, 6,480,000 Polos had been built.
- 7,000,000th Polo produced
- Facelifted saloon and estate launched.
- Series 4 Polo launched
- Class-first as all models feature ABS and twin front airbags as standard
- Length 3,897mm (+182mm); width 1,650 mm (-5mm); height 1,465mm (+45mm); wheelbase 2,460mm (+60mm).
- 8,000,000th Polo produced
- 1.4-litre 84bhp FSI direct injection petrol model launched. The Polo becomes the first Volkswagen in the UK to feature this technology
- Twist model launched.
- Polo Dune launched – a five-door variant featuring raised suspension and enhanced SUV-style bodywork. Available with a 1.2-litre 64bhp three-cylinder petrol; a 1.4-litre 74bhp four-cylinder petrol; and a 1.4-litre 74bhp TDI three-cylinder diesel.
- 9,000,000th Polo produced
- International debut of the revised Polo at the Leipzig motor show in April. Revised Polo on sale in the UK from June
- Length 3,916mm (+19mm); width 1,650mm (+0mm); height 1,465mm (+0mm); wheelbase: 2,460mm (+0mm).
- Polo GTI with 1.8-litre turbo 148bhp engine launched
- Revised Polo Dune launched with 1.4-litre 74bhp petrol and 1.4-litre TDI 69bhp diesel.
- 10,000,000th Polo produced
- BlueMotion technology debuts in the UK on the Polo. Model launched with a 1.4-litre TDI 79bhp engine which returns 74.3mpg and emits just 99g/km of CO2.
- International debut of the Series 5 Polo at the Geneva motor show in March
- Length 3,952mm (+36mm); width 1,682mm (+32mm); height 1,454mm (-13mm); wheelbase 2,470mm (+10mm).
- Premier of three-door and BlueMotion versions at the Frankfurt motor show in September
- Fifth-generationPolo named European Car of the Year 2010 in November.
- Latest 91g/km Polo BlueMotion 1.2 TDI available to order in UK retailers from February
- New 178bhp 1.4 TSI Polo GTI unveiled at the Geneva motor show, along with SUV-styled, two-wheel drive CrossPolo
- Budget Polo Vivo hatchback and saloon replace the CitiGolf in South Africa, becoming an instant sales success
- New Polo awarded World Car of the Year 2010 title in New York
- Premier of new Polo Saloon – named the Vento in India – in Moscow in June.
(Thanks to the Volkswagen UK Press Office.)
For in-depth histories of the Polo generations, special model details, production tallies and technical specifications, visit the links below or pages in the drop-down ‘Heritage’ menu: